find us on Facebook

Mondays in Nelson

Happy Friday CDSS friends!  On this first day of summer I’m happy to share with you my final school project, completed during my recent semester at the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies in Portland, Maine.  While there I learned both radio and video production as well as some photography.  It was wonderful to develop these skills while working with a community near and dear to my heart: the Monday night contra dance in Nelson, NH.   Please enjoy this six minute video portrait of this gem of a community dance.

I also wish to extend my warmest thanks to the many people who helped make the project possible including: Lisa Sieverts, Gordon Peery, Don Primrose, Kelly Strauss, Val Van Meier, Al Stoops, Jenny Maxwell, Rachel Fouchet and all the Nelson dancers, callers and musicians.

Enjoy!

~ Mary

Be Sociable, Share!
Categories: Features & Fun | + 12 Comments »

12 Comments

1. Posted June 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Mary, you did a fantastic job with this video! Thank you so much for sharing it, and congratulations on the finished product.

2. Posted June 21, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful! It is subtle, detailed, about a community and a dance for which I have such affection and attachment and that I miss dearly. This is a great piece and you should be proud.

3. Roger L'Heureux Sr
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Music, Music, Music! Great to see the mix of ages!

4. Nancy Boyd
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Nicely done, Mary.

5. Posted June 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I was at both dances when Mary was filming this – what a great job! When the /photos/video/film comes close to capturing the actual JOY of being a part of the dance – that’s art. Well done, Mary, and thank you! A+

6. Carol Ansel
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Fabulous job, Mary!

7. Posted June 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Brilliant! Very creative filming, and the story is nicely tied together. Congratulations.

8. Betty Firth
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Wonderful video! It’s fun to see and hear Al Stoops who used to live here in Ely, MN and told us grand stories of your wonderful dance (and broader) community. And Al looks so happy to be there! But, still, we miss him in our community.

9. Tom Rogers
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Terrific job, Mary! I almost never watch entire videos people link to from Facebook, but yours is so professional and so engaging and lovely I couldn’t stop watching. From now on, when people ask me what contra dancing is, I will send them to your video. Good luck in your filmmaking career!

10. Jack Mitchell
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Wonderful video. I’m determined to make it work to go to Nelson after the RPDLW this year. It didn’t work after NEFFA, or after RPDLW this year, but this time I have a whole year to not schedule something that I have to come back to right after Ralph Page Weekend!

11. Betsy Street
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Great video – you capture the spirit and the story very well!

12. Mac Sloan
    Posted August 19, 2013 at 12:19 am | Permalink

The good in this life must be borne witness to. Your video does that.